The eco-efficiency of municipalities in the recycling of solid waste: A stochastic semi-parametric envelopment of data approach

TitleThe eco-efficiency of municipalities in the recycling of solid waste: A stochastic semi-parametric envelopment of data approach
AuthorMaría Molinos, Alexandros Maziotis, Ramón Sala, Manuel Mocholi
Line(s)

Recursos Críticos

Year of Publication2023
Journal TitleWaste Management & Research
Keywords
AbstractEco-efficiency assessment of municipal solid waste (MSW) suppliers is a useful tool in the transition to a circular economy. Furthermore, it provides evidence of the economic and environmental performance of municipalities that can be used for decision-making and/or elaboration of regulatory policies. In this study, eco-efficiency scores were computed for a sample of 140 Chilean municipalities in the provision of MSW services. In doing so, the stochastic semi-parametric envelopment of data method was applied. It is a novel technique which overcomes the limitations of parametric (stochastic frontier analysis) and non-parametric (data envelopment analysis) methods previously employed to evaluate the eco-efficiency of MSW services. The average eco-efficiency of the 140 assessed municipalities was 0.332 which indicates that they could save 66.8% of their operational costs and recycling the same amount of waste. Moreover, 61.4% of the evaluated municipalities presented an eco-efficiency score which was lower than 0.4, whereas the other municipalities (38.6% of the sample) exhibited an eco-efficiency which raged between 0.4 and 0.80. Hence, none of the municipalities assessed was identified as eco-efficient which, implies that there is room for all municipalities to reduce operational costs in the management of MSW. Population density, tourism and location of the municipality were identified as factors influencing the eco-efficiency of the municipalities in MSW management.
Doihttps://doi.org/10.1177/0734242X221142223
Corresponding AuthorMaría Molinos, mmolinos@uc.cl